Excellence is the Expectation, Excellence With NO Excuses!
LES Serving Students
The mission of Longfellow Elementary School is to encourage a positive attitude toward learning while preparing students with transferable and meaningful skills for life in a global society. It is our goal that all students who attend Longfellow move on and attend a higher learning institution.
The Longfellow Elementary School program is designed to meet the special needs of elementary level students. The program strives to be transitional in nature, providing students the “bridge” between the self contained classroom of the elementary school and the departmentalized curriculum of middle school. We strive for Excellence and encourage all students to do the same.
Meeting the Goals of the Vision
To achieve the broad goals of this vision, Longfellow Elementary School recognizes the importance of the environment in which children work. If we expect them to develop individual capabilities in a wide variety of activities, the setting must be flexible and allow for risk taking. Worthwhile social attitudes can only be expected where both the children and adults have respect for one another, are friendly, and care for each other’s needs.
We believe Longfellow Elementary School should:
- Offer many opportunities for students to be successful physically, socially, emotionally, and intellectually.
- Emphasize academically challenging experiences that foster thinking, problem solving and develop an attitude for life-long learning.
- Be child centered.
- Develop in students a respect for themselves and others.
- Encourage individual differences and attempt to meet unique student needs.
- Provide students the opportunity to explore a wide variety of interests and skills.
- Recognize and reward their successes.
- Develop in students a sense of interdependence and belonging.
- Reflect the values and priorities of Muncie Community Schools that will impact the community, parents, and students.
- Emphasize an allied arts curriculum that stimulates creativity, enjoyment, and knowledge.
Our school mascot - The Lion
Show your school pride by wearing our colors, blue and yellow.
Times to Note:
The building opens to students for breakfast at 8:00 A.M. All students are to be in their classrooms by 8:30 A.M. Lunch is served from 11:00 A.M. to 12:40 P.M. (Check with your child's teacher for an exact lunch time.) Students who walk home or are picked up depart at 2:30 P.M. through the temporary main door. Teachers are available by appointment from 8:00-8:20 and 2:30-3:30. The front office is open each school day from 7:30am-4:00pm.
Longfellow welcomes visitors. For the safety of the children, only one entrance remains unlocked, and ALL visitors must sign in and out at the office. Visitors badges are to be worn throughout duration of the visit.
Meals at School:
Breakfast is served daily to students for $1.40. Student lunches cost $2.00 each, and the reduced rate is $0.40 for breakfast and $0.40 for lunch. An adult breakfast is $1.95. The price for an adult lunch is $3.00. Extra milk costs 40 cents. See above for meal times. Click to view this month's school menu.